Re: FIX FOR HAMM: timezone problem

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
:
: > On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
: >
: > > Investigating the matter revealed that /etc/timezone said
: > > US/Central.  running /usr/sbin/tzconfig and setting it to
: > > SystemV/CST6CDT fixed the problem.
:
: > I'm sorry to disapoint you, but US/Central is a perfectly valid timezone.
: > It is only intended for those parts of the central US where Daylight
: > Savings Time is not practiced. You will notice that there are equivalet
: > settings for the other timezones as well.
:
: In tzconfig, it prompts you for your geographic area.  Just about everyone
: I can think of will select US if they are in the US.  But if what you are
: saying is correct, non of those settings are for people with Daylight
: Savings Time.  There should be an alternative list under the US section
: that is for people with Daylight Savings Time.

Sorry, but I think "US/Central" works as advertised.

kepler:~ $ cat /etc/timezone
US/Central
kepler:~ $ date
Tue Jun 16 09:29:29 CDT 1998

I know this said "CST" when we weren't on DST.  Furthermore, it
shouldn't say "CDT" if "It is only intended for those parts of the
central US where Daylight Savings Time is not practiced."

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104