Re: Stop vi discussion

AE continues to seem terribly buggy.  The keystrokes inexplicably seem
different every time I use it.  Sometimes F10 means save, other times
its ^W.  Often, the arrow keys are non-functional.  It is very rare to
get it to do both a backspace and delete operation.

Joe, BTW, has its native keystrokes, plus vi, pico, and probably emacs
keystroke emulation.  It also has nice online help like ae.

It is the first editor I used under Linux -- I have been using the
Wordstar-like keystrokes for years and years.  (Some of you may
remember Borland's classic SideKick TSR under DOS.  That's when I
learned those keystrokes.  On an 8088 with no hard disk.)

My editor of choice these days is xemacs, which of course cannot go on
the rescue disk.  I still use joe for quick editing jobs, and it does
some things better than emacs -- raw editing of binaries, rectangle
selects, etc.  It would be very nice to see it on the rescue disk.

John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |