Re: Stop vi discussion

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
> you may flame me, but you have to write the flame with joe.

Ok, I'm writing my response in joe.  [Is it a flame?  I hope not.]

ae is about 24k, 12k when compressed with gzexe, joe is about 174k,
82k when compressed with gzexe.

For this you get a number of vi features (block manipulations, redo, word
based movement, macros, cut and paste, parenthesis matching, compilation
support, regexp support).  vi (elvis-tiny) is smaller (62k/31k if I recall
correctly), but if we wanted to make the features available to the novice,
we'd have to write the docs.

joe also has a built in paragraph reformater (vi forces you to filter the
paragraph through fmt, or par), but we don't need that on a rescue disk.

joe displays time of day.  Dunno if that's worth it.

joe lets you do split screen stuff.  Dunno how well it works, haven't
tried it.

For what it does, ae is easier to use, and vi is smaller.  You could put
both ae and elvis on the rescue disk and have that much space again left
over when compared to joe.  The features missing from elvis-tiny aren't
worth the size (nothing is worth the size, frankly).

--
Raul