Re: The Hamm Bugs Stamp-Out List

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 11:40:30PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
>
> > Package: bootdisk             (pseudo)
> > Maintainer: Maintainer Group <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>
> >   20779  Debian 2.0 won't boot of a hard disk after install
> > [STRATEGY] Enrique: "This is a hardware-specific bug too. I have asked
> >       the submitter to try to install after disabling the 128KB cache
> >       as stated in the docs (he has a Cyrix CPU). He is going to try it
> >       and will report back."
>
> I can confirm that on Cyrixes having the cache disabled solves problems. I
> ran into a similar problem, I got as far as the second installation screen,
> and then dinstall starts to segfault. For the record, I had to disable BOTH
> caches, internal and external. Surprisingly, the machine didn't run *much*
> slower...

I know there were a few cyrix-specific fixes introduced in 2.0.34.
Maybe some of the people experiencing this problem might test it out
with that kernel?  That might push out to definately try to get 2.0.34
in for hamm release.  (Although AFAIK, it's ok to have new version of
boot floppies for hamm even after release date?)