Re: Official CDROM

joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com:
> Instead of the two-cd's-without-source, I'd rather see a special
> lightweight _single_ Debian cd for i386 that carries:
> A cd like this, with approximately 250 meg binaries, 250 meg sources, 40
> meg documentation, 10 meg kernels and a 100 meg live filesystem would
> make an excellent "cover cd" for computer magazines.

That's a great idea.  One minor suggestion: cut down the numbers a
touch, so there's about 100 meg free.  This would allow people to add
stuff in customizing the CD.

Last semester I needed to cut a dozen CDs for a course I was teaching.
I wanted to include a version of Scheme for a couple architectures
(Windows, MacOS, etc) and Emacs for the same set of architectures,
some manuals (R4RS and the like) plus some software of my own.  It all
added up to under 100 meg, so to fill out the CD I included the Debian
1.3 i386 binary bootable CD stuff, plus non-US and much of non-free.
I know that a number of people used it to install Debian on their home
machines.

The setup you describe would be even more suited to applications like
that.  And I'm sure magazines wouldn't mind a bit of free space on the
disk for some custom stuff either.