Re: Bootint big kernels

Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> wrote:
> The only isapnp devices I know of are audio.  Are there any SCSI or
> enet devices?  (If so a table would be necessary as they are discovered.)

Yes, a lot of modern soundcards include an IDE controller, that is usually
configured with PnP.  Also, my current network card (a 3Com 3c509) is also ISA
PnP.  I had to move it by hand to the non-PnP mode in order to use it with
Linux.

> Digging through INF files in windows 95 would be a start.  This is
> something that should be closely coordinated with the ISApnp
> utilities.

Yes, again.  I recall somebody else asking about getting info from Window$ for
a similar purpose (monitor configuration, I think).  The problem there could
be the copyright of that information, that probably belongs to MS or their
partners.  I would be a good idea to find out about that before proceeding.

> There is a kernel patch to initialize them, and I have a patch to GRUB
> to pass the right magic to the kernel patch, but I don't use it right
> now.  (Not necessary, since my only ISApnp device is not critical to
> booting.)

Is that Tom Lees' patch?  I'll give it a try these days just to see if it is suitable for this purpose.

Regards,

M. S.