Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Michael Dietrich wrote:

> > > i agree to this. neither does vi or emacs belong there, even if emacs
> > > whould be an 30KB sized editor.
> > > THIS is the correct aproach. in the base system an editor is needed,
> > > that everybody can use, not only those vi-nerds (like me). even emacs
> > > is to difficult to use. i hate to say that, but i'd like to see an
> > > editor like the dos-editor 'edit'. this editor can be used instantly
> > > by nearly every computer user with a little expirience. and that's
> > > what's needed.
> >
> > I've a freind who wrote a editor like dos edit. However it has some rather
> > nasty bugs.... Anyone here use Tico? ... I don't think we have a package
> > for it, I don't even know what licence it's under, It was just sugested to
> > me.
> if there is a chance of getting the bugs out of it and it is GPLed i
> would be interested to work on it.
> > > i don't think, you can make a easy to use editor out of ae. somebody
> > > threw 'le' in. what's that?
> >
> > I don't know either, anymore... I'm kinda lost in the ae.rc file... very
> > confusing...

Yes it is.

What is wrong with the current "emacs" keybindings for ae? They work on
any terminal. Before you put a lot of effort into changing the keybindings
on ae, take a look at the current ones and tell me what is wrong with
them. I have several weeks of work in the current solution and it works as
advertized.

I have never understood why folks have problems with ae (except of course
when the keybindings were broken). The keys that you can press and have an
action take place are all listed on the screen. You can cut and paste,
type and delete. What more could you ask for in a quick and dirty editor?

BTW, for those who just can't deal with ae, sed is the alternative ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf