Re: Xinetd bug #20705

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 12:30:50PM -0400, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In article <[🔎] 19980608145644.A2567@vtech.dyn.ml.org> you wrote:
>
> > The bug report pretty much says:
> > xinetd: samba 1.9.18p3-1 don't work from xinetd (from inetd is ok)
> >
> > What I need is to know if this is a real bug or just a user configuration
> > problem.  I personally do not have/use samba, but I know of at least 2 people
> > that use it successfully with xinetd.  If someone else could confirm this
> > bug, then I will forward it to the upstream maintainer, otherwise I will
> > close it..
>
> I (as the Samba maitainer) feel a bit guilty about this. Remco
> Blaakmeer <remco@Cal011205.student.utwente.nl> reported this as a bug
> in Samba and I told him I was going to investigate but the truth is
> that I have done nothing to to my lack of time and my unexperience
> with xinetd (haven't ever used it).

I think its safe to close the samba bug, as this seems to be an xinetd
configuration problem.  I will let you know when I confirm this (probably
today or tomorrow).

> By the way, I thought Adam Heath was the maintainer of xinetd. Did
> this change lately? Also, why xinetd is in non-free?

Adam was the maintainer, I took over the package very recently.  It is in
non free because of a screwed up non-maintainer release, 2.2.1-4 was
supposed to fix this, but it was rejected due to a technicality that I will
have sorted out shortly.