Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.

Jim <jim@laney.edu> wrote:
> Isn't ease of use more important than standardness when it comes to
> an editor to be used for a rescue situation? I think that I would try
> doing an alternative set of boot disks to see how folx liked them. Is
> it possible to make mc use vi? On the rescue disk, size is at least
> neck and neck with ease of use.

(1) I'd prefer to postpone this dicussion till after hamm is released.
(2) mc on my system always uses vi, even if I have EDITOR turned off.
    (presumably because it wants to save my preferences, and doesn't
    understand that I have different working environments).
(3) ae is sufficiently easy to use, and sufficiently small.

> What is it people see in vi in terms of _using_ it?

Outside the scope of debian-devel. Or, at least, I'd rather concentrate
on getting hamm out the door than in editor religious discussions.

If you are after opinion (as opposed to discussion), I'll be following
this letter with a personal one to you, describing my own concepts of
why vi is popular.

--
Raul