Re: Corel Network Computer Port

Behan Webster <behanw@verisim.com> writes:

> They are only giving discounts to OCLUG members, but since I'm in OCLUG,
> I could probably approach the appropriate people to do some enquiries.
> I wouldn't hold your breath though.  OCLUG is very RedHat based.

I've talked to some of the Corel guys on the phone before, and they
seemed very reasonable and open-minded.

Basically, nobody has sold Corel on the potential of OEM vendors using
Debian.  They've just been listening to Red Hat and their convincing
story of how they are making megabucks, and the sales channel that is
already in place there.

> As far as I know Corel Computer Corp is making a bank of Netwinders
> available to the net.  You have to setup login permissions through
> OCLUG.  I'll make some enquiries...

That might be useful for bootstrapping Debian.  :-)

> How many developpers are we talking here?  Last I heard they were
> looking for a few good hackers, especially kernel hackers.  They still
> have kernel features that they would like to see implemented too.  Maybe
> I'm opening a pandora's box here, but which Debian Developpers are
> interested in getting access to or buying a netwinder, etc? (Last I
> heard Corel is thinking of $1000 (CDN I think) per netwinder).

Sign me up - I can come up with $1000 CDN no problem.

Cheers,

 - Jim