Re: Proposal: Automatic query servicing for dpkg installation scripts

Andreas Degert <ad@papyrus.hamburg.com> wrote:
> If I just install one package, it's ok that a lot of output is
> produced, and maybe some questions are asked. But when I upgrade
> a batch of packages or install a new system, it's not an optimal
> solution.

This doesn't scale to multiple machines.

If you have a hundred machines of the same type, you couldn't used the
debian packaging systemm to define a configuration then apply that
configuration to the hundred machines, while upgrading, unless you had
someone there to hand enter the answers a hundred times. [Even then,
there's a problem if someone's keyboard bounces and you get an extra
prompt answered.]

--
Raul