Re: Base-passwd issues

At 1:03 PM -0600 1998.03.18, Rob Browning wrote:
>Galen Hazelwood <galenh@apexxtech.com> writes:
>
>[ I've CC-ed this to debian-policy because I really do think we need
>to start talking about a solution to the underlying problem here
>rather than always working around it in half-assed ways.  (I include
>myself in that category). ]

[I'm not on the debian-policy list, so I've un-CC-ed it.]

>> I don't believe any package should have a prompt in post-install,
>
>But until we have a better mechanism (which we desperately need), some
>important packages *must* ask.

   How about adding a new field to the control file indicating that
installation of the package requires making important decisions?  Then
whatever package installer is being used could have the answers determined
in advance (in the case of an automated install sequence), interactively,
or not at all (deferring the post-installation).

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                          Metamage Software Creations
=)                                         Tools for Wizards