Re: Why "daemon" is not like "deity"

'bruce@va.debian.org wrote:'

>> But is it religous intolerance? So far, I have just seen your
>> word on that. Is anyone's religious sensibility actually hurt?
>
>Ian Murdock, founder of Debian, is Catholic. He found the name
>"presumptuous". That's fair and accurate IMO. I can poll some
>religious people in Linux circles if necessary. My suggestions
>would be Simon Shapiro and Brian Sparks.

Since I wrote http://www.netaxs.com/~cjf/god.html , I am qualified to
speak on this issue.  I think "deity" is fine.  I can't believe anyone
would be badly offended by it (people are strange, so I'm sure someone
would find just about anything offensive -- I find catering to
religious zealots to be offensive).  I guess I don't care what we call
it.  Maybe I'm not religious after all :)

I would buy Bruce's argument if he said "'deity' gives the wrong
marketing impression".  But saying that people would find it offensive
seems off the wall to me.

I do trust Bruce's marketing intuitions, so I'm inclined to support
his choice of name for deity.  I just don't accept "offensive" as a
valid reason.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary