Re: nc (netcat) and nc (nedit)

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> On 22 Nov 1997, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:
> >
> > > Hamish reminded me, when asking about atp, that a package I'm
> > > working on (netcat) has a binary called nc.  However, nedit
> > > also has an 'nc'.  Should I rename the nc binary to netcat?
> >
> > I think people are much more likely to have written scripts that
> > depend on netcat named nc than scripts that depend on nedit named nc.
> > If you change it, you'll break all of them.  I'd say that you'd be
> > better to rename nedit's file than netcat's, but it won't really
> > effect me either way.
>
> I second this.  Not only do people write scripts relying on nc to be
> netcat, but netcat is found on lots of unix systems that I use, unlike
> nedit.  Can you get more information on what nedit's nc command does?
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

Hi,

I maintain nedit, and I just uploaded the latest version this morning.
The "nc" command from nedit is the nedit-client.  When Nedit is started in
server mode, you can then start up a client whenever you start editing.
By doing the client-server thing, you get near instant editing, instead of
having to wait for nedit to load (not that nedit takes all that long to
load).  It can be a nice thing, but I suspect that relativly few people
actually use this feature.  I have no strong opinions about the naming,
except that people used to the nedit "nc" command would be surprised to
suddenly have "netcat" do its thing instead.  Anyway, I am willing to
adjust the naming of Nedit's "nc" command if a consensis (spelling?) of
the Debian developers agrees that this is the Right Thing(tm) to do.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org