Re: inconsistent init.d arguments

In article <199711171703.KAA01129@chunks.gag.com>,
Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
>I've been really annoyed lately on my laptop with my seeming inability to
>guess at the options to scripts in /etc/init.d.  Specifically, some of the
>scripts use 'reload', some use 'restart'.

Well I guess the distinction is that "reload" re-loads the configuration
files without stopping and starting the process. Sendmail and apache
are capable of this, for example.

"restart" means stop all running servers and start new ones, which is
actually quite different.

Maybe we need Yet Another Option that does reload when possible and
restart otherwise..

OTOH, usually restart is done because reload is not available. So you could
just as well always use reload where it will do restart if that's the only
way to do a reload.

(BTW, on a cisco, reload is the command for reboot. Don't you just love it..).

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/