Re: Meaning of `source code'

Bruce Perens wrote:

> The Debian Free Software Guidelines are more strict than the GPL on this
> point. The DFSG require that everything you use to build the program be
> free software, or the program itself would wind up in our "contrib"
> directory rather than in the main part of the system. The GPL makes
> exceptions for some libraries and other tools with the assumption that
> you are building a free program for use on a non-free system. Obviously,
> that assumption doesn't apply to Debian.

However, the DFSG does not contain anything like the "The source code
for a work means the preferred form of the work for making
modifications to it".

I think it should, to make clear that things like compiler output
are not source even though they might not be binary either.

(An actual example of this was the smalleiffel package, though I haven't
looked at it recently).

Richard Braakman