Re: KERNEL: New File System Module!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net>
To: Debian Devel <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Date: Friday, October 31, 1997 5:40 AM
Subject: KERNEL: New File System Module!!!!!!!

>I have finally done it.  I have Win95 and Linux on my system(like many
>others), and love using long file names.  I also know that I can have long
>names with umsdos.  However, any file that I created with umsdos would
never
>appear with a long name in Win95, only the short.  Until now.
>
>Here comes UVFAT.  Unix permissions, links, etc on top of Windows95
>partitions.  Now, if you create a long name with UVFAT, the file will show
>up properly in Win95!  And it took only two days to do it!
>
>For those interested, all I did was copy fs/umsdos to fs/uvfat, used "sed"
>to change all instances of "msdos" to "vfat", and then edited mangle.c to
>conform with vfat name handling.
>
>This was developed with 2.0.31.  No patch available yet.  I am interested
in
>seeing how many people would like this.
>
>Adam Heath
>adam.heath@usa.net
>http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265  -- Page me

Now, umssync works with the new file system.  I used sed again, and named
the output files uvfatsync, uvfatsetup, uvfatcntl.

I will most likely be making this into a Debian Package(the source patch and
file utitilities), along with sending it to Linus.

Adam Heath
adam.heath@usa.net
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265  -- Page me

ps:  Where does one send kernel patches?  This is the first one that I have
done and wanted to distribute.