Re:Re: Time to remove rex?

>>>>>> "jwalther" == jwalther  <jwalther@citytel.net> writes:

 jwalther> On 29 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
 >> Is it appropriate to remove rex (Debian 1.2) from the ftp archive?

 jwalther> No!  Please dont.

 jwalther> At my local library, rex is the only distro that works on the 386sx
 jwalther> that we have for people to telnet out and check their email.  It
 jwalther> uses a dialup (ppp) connection.

 jwalther> Every blinking time I upgrade to 1.3, I *cannot* make pppd dial out.
 jwalther> And when I dial out by hand, pppd wont take the bait and finish
 jwalther> flipping the line over to the right protocol.

I've got a  similar problem with 1.3.   Group permissions doesn't seem  working
properly (works fine  under  buz and rex). I   can't dialout (with dip)  unless
making /dev/ttyS1 o+rw.  "$  groups linh" shows  "linh dip dialout  audio sound
floppy" and /dev/ttyS1's group is also "dialout".

 jwalther> I keep having to downgrade to 1.2.

 jwalther> I even saved the binaries for "chat" and "pppd" from the 1.2 and
 jwalther> copied em over to /usr/bin and overwrote the new bins after
 jwalther> upgrading to 1.3, and that *still* didnt solve anything.

 jwalther> So I think we really need to keep 1.2.

 jwalther> Please?  Thanks =]

 jwalther> Don Dibos