Re: Printing a list packages that no package depends on

On 13 Jul 1997 srivasta@datasync.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have been asked whether pkg-order can print a list of all
>  packages that no other packages depend on (useful in deciding whether
>  to delete a shared library package or not).

I just wrote something very similar: a small Perl script based on "sgrep"
to list all packages depending on a specific package (recursively).

Here is an example output:

cpp
  gcc
    iconc
    intercal
    gpc
      gpc
    checker
    libc6-dev
      libc6-pic
      libg++272-dev
      ncurses3.4-dev

This means: gcc depends on cpp, iconc depends on gcc, etc.

This is useful if one wants to know how easily a specific package can be
removed.

If someone else should be intrested in this I could make it available.
Perhaps we should package up all those little scripts in a package
(debianutils, pkg-order, or something else).

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/