Re: Free software

From: Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu>
> From my point of view - nothing. But current Debian's treatment of the
> definition of "free" software and Debian's relationships with
> "non-free" software are ...ahem.. quite immature and not self-consistent.

Where were you during the free software guidelines discussion? Were you
not a developer yet?  They were given an entire month to criticize our
free software guidelines before we went to a vote. We had exactly _two_
no votes on those guidelines, 80 yes, and 12 "yes with some reservations" .
I would have to assume that most of the developers don't share your
opinion.

> but I think that it is ridiculous situation when, for instance,
> motif applications, which are (and have been for a long time) industry
> standard for virtually every UNIX system (with some well-known exceptions)
> are only good for "contrib"!

You will notice that "contrib" is on the official CD. If you link
applications with lesstif rather than motif they can go in the main
distribution. The whole purpose of Debian is to make a system that
anyone can derive from and redistribute without having to deal with
licenses, etc. You can't derive from motif without a motif license.

> Let's forget the illusion that it is possible to have 100% "free"
> distribution working for real world.

:-) Well, it works for some folks.

	Thanks

	Bruce