Re: perl code for decoding tar files...

joost witteveen writes:

> > > I seem to remember someone commenting that they had perl code for
> > > decoding tar files laying around.  If so, could I get a copy, so I may
> > > attempt to ameliorate dpkg-source's inability to cope with 100+
> > > character filenames?
> >
> > Please remember that the problem also exists in dpkg-deb with
> > the tar extracter.

> BTW, that dpkg-dev problem, couldn't that be because dpkg-dev uses
> dpkg-source? (Just guessing).

No, the dpkg-deb problem is somewhat different.  While generating
a .deb file dpkg-deb uses "tar c --exlude DEBIAN f - ".  If GNU
tar encountes a long filename, it uses two records in the
resulting tar file, one starting/ending with something like
/@/LongLink/@/.

The tar extracter of dpkg-deb is a complete rewrite by Bruce
because it has to take care of already installed files, conffiles
and the like.  *This* extracter can't handle those LongLinks.

That's all.

Regards

	Joey
 / A mathematician is a machine                                  /
/                           for converting coffee into theorems /