Re: Packaging system improvements

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Tom Lees wrote:

> 3. (All related to source packaging)
>
> 3a. We need to standardize on a location where Debianized sources
>     installed on a system should be put, and the format of this tree.
[...]
> Here is some more detailed information about the current status of
> some of these issues, and how they might be solved.
>
> 3a. I propose we use "/usr/src" as the base location, and then divide
>     the packaged into sections as done with the archive in binaries,
>     so e.g. the source for CVS would be unpacked into
>     "/usr/src/devel/cvs-1.9-4". We might also want symbolic links for
>     binary package names, e.g. "/usr/src/devel/cvs-pcl".
[...]

But then only root can install/modify Debian sources. I really don't want
to do Debian development as root. (Yes, I have to be root to install a
binary package, but that's enough). The current way (install sources where
you like) should be kept as an option.

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental