Re: Anyone interested in MusiXTeX?

foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Anthony Fok) writes:

> On 7 Jul 1997, Paul Seelig wrote:
>
> > Yes!  I would love to install an official Debian package of the
> > incredible MusiXTeX!
> [...]
> BTW, are you on the MuTeX mailing list too?  I downloaded
> the archive, and saw some of your posting...

Yes, but i am mostly only reading along there.

> Andreas Egler and Daniel Taupin (sp?) are funny!  (Check out the first
> page of the documentation of OpusTeX and MusiXTeX.)  Egler's MusiXTeX is
> now called OpusTeX V0.77.  I am trying to install it now to see how it
> compares with Taupin's MusiXTeX.  :)

Please check out Egler's copyright very well.  As far as i remember he
doesn't want to keep his version as free as Taupin indeed does.  I
think they had a major quarrel when developing MusiXTeX which led to
the leave of Egler back then.  Anyway, Taupin's version is the de fact
standard in the TeX related music world and i suppose Egler's
development can be easily ignored as long as it doesn't provide
anything exceptionally better than Taupin's version.

                                  Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig