Re: Icon sizes for menus

Kenneth MacDonald:
> Here's the standard colourmap from GIMP 0.99.1.  Very readable.  Looks
> to be the same as the standard MS 16 colour palette too (with
> additional grey levels).

> GIMP Palette
> # Default -- GIMP Palette file
 > 255 0 0	Red
> 255 0 255	Magenta
> 0 0 255	Blue
> 0 255 255	Cyan
> 0 255 0	Green
> 255 255 0	Yellow
> 127 0 0	Dark Red
> 127 0 127	Dark Magenta
> 0 0 127	Dark Blue
> 0 127 127	Dark Cyan
> 0 127 0	Dark Green
> 130 127 0	Dark Yellow

I believe that this one is 127 127 0 in the windows colormap (if it
matters :-).

> 0 0 0	Black
> 25 25 25	Gray 10%
> 51 51 51	Gray 20%
> 76 76 76	Gray 30%
> 102 102 102	Gray 40%
> 127 127 127	Gray 50%
> 153 153 153	Gray 60%
> 178 178 178	Gray 70%
> 204 204 204	Gray 80%
> 229 229 229	Gray 90%
> 255 255 255	White

I wonder if these extra greys will be useful in our colormap? I suppose they
would let you do decent greyscale icons if you wanted to.

I think we should settle on a 32 color colormap. The 16 colors from
windows/gimp are a good start.

> Unfortunately, when working with icons as small as 16x16, it's more up
> to good initial design than simply shrinking an existing larger
> picture.  A good start, though, no doubt, and better than nothing.

Unfortunatly, not all debian devlopers are artists. And none of us are going
to want to spend huge amounts of time fiddling with icons for all the
programs in our packages that have menu entries. Also, shrinking an image is
good if you already have an icon, but it's too big.

--