PROPOSAL: New Debian Manuals

Hi folks!

Here is a lists of Debian Manuals that would be nice to have:

Debian User's Manual
  installation, setting up, system maintaince (backups, etc.),
  how to build a .deb, FAQ, etc.

Debian Developer's Manual
  organisation, ftp, uploading, developer stuff, etc

Debian Policy Manual -- maintained by me (Policy Manager)
  policy about the contents of each package (compressed/uncompressed,
  stripped/unstripped, file locations, etc., plus basics of how to
  build a package (perhaps the packaging HOWTO could go here).

Dpkg Reference Manual -- by Klee (new dpkg maintainer)
  nitty-gritty reference about the dpkg tools and how they behave.
  the debian policy manual would refer to this document where
  appropriate

Dpkg Internals Manual -- by Klee
  documentation about the internals of dpkg, and how to write new
  tools for package management using the dpkg libraries.  this would
  be useful to a limited audience only.

I suggest the following packages:

- - debian-doc: User's Manual, FAQ, etc.

- - debian-doc-dev: Developer's Manual, Policy Manual, FSSTND, etc.

- - dpkg-dev: Dpkg * Manual

All these documents should be listed in an overall web page (set up by
dwww, for example) as well as being accessable over the WWW.

Comments?

Thanks,

Chris

- --                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,
Debian is looking     schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de, bm955877@muenchen.org
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/