Re: Upgrading RH 4.1 to bo

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Christoph wrote:

> > > I have to retract that. It did not do some rather important changes to the
> > > inittab file which we noticed after rebooting the system today.
> > >
> > But, in any case the init processes are fairly isomorphic? Or are they
> > completely orthogonal?
>
> They both use Miquels sysvinit package so its easy to convert.

Thank you for your patient explanations. Everything I have heard is great
news. If Slackware isn't to divergent your approach whould work there as
well. If we can firm up this proceedure and provide "seamless" upgrade
proceedures for both Slack and RH we can begin to draw users of these
products to Debian in a relatively painless fashion instead of the rather
brutal backup-remove-install process that those folks have been forced to
in the past.
Thanks again for taking the time to reduce my ignorance on the subject as
well as for your explorative work in this area.

Luck,

Dwarf