Re: Debian WWW standards version 2.0

> > 4. We need a standard way of getting things onto a master index, a la
> > install-info.
>
> Lars has done a good job at this with "dwww" so far. I am deliberately
> leaving this out of the standard until he comes to us with needs that
> can't be filled without the cooperation of the installing package.

Lars: how about this. You present the directory name in dwww to choose
documentation. But if there is a .what_is_it file in the directory, you
read its content:

/usr/doc/net/.what_is_it
# Packages  Linkname  Description
netstd,netbase Networking All about Debian Networking stuff

will generate

<li><A HREF="/debian/doc/">Networking</A> All about Debian Networking stuff

and an entry for the package netstd and netbase in an searchdatabase. Of
course you will default to:

<package> <packge> [Description: from dpkg (optional but neat)]

if there is no .what_is_it file in the /usr/doc/<package>/ dir.

> I can make /usr/doc be exported as http://localhost/debian/doc .
> However, the cgi-bin is another story, as there are explicitly ROM and
> variable areas for CGI scripts.

But the ROM Stuff will never be accessed via httpd...

Greetings
Bernd