Re: XFree86 3.2 Initial Reports

Stephen Early wrote:

>  > 2) There is no option to automatically start the server using other than
>  > an 8 bit mode.  While the configuration information is correctly created
>  > for 15, 16, 24, and 32 bpp modes, one must edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers by
>  > hand and add '-bpp 16' [or whatever].
>
> I suppose I _could_ add a prompt for this in the postinst scripts. On
> the other hand, editing configuration files is not difficult.

I do not know if you are aware of it, but you can now simply add the line:

DefaultColorDepth 16

to your /etc/X11/XF86Config and everything will work just like you want it
to.  You no longer need to adjust /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers as described above
(although that works too).  I think that this is a much better solution,
and it seems the XFree86 development team agrees.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen        Web:    http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/
2485 South State St.    email:  andersee@et.byu.edu or andersee@debian.org