Re: cpp and gcc are both providing elf-gcc

>Hang on a minute ... have I got this right?  Is this the current
>position: gcc has its own copy of cpp in-built, so if you install both
>cpp and gcc, you effectively get two copies of the same binary; then,
>when some other package needs the preprocessor, it depends explicitly on
>cpp?  In other words, if you have gcc and something like Calendar, you
>end up with two copies of the C preprocessor?

That sounds like it, alright.

>And MY suggestion is too much hassle? :-)

<grin>

It shouldn't be too hard for the maintainer to make cpp a package on
it's own that others can depend upon.  Then, gcc just "conflicts:"
with cpp and "provides:" it (supplying the needed symlink).  Sounds
good to me.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )