Package Verification

I'd like to suggest another field to be automatically added to the
"Packages" files that exist at the top of each hierarchy in the
distribution.  I'd like to see a "Checksum:" field that can be used to
verify the correct download of these packages.  I think including both
an 'md5sum' and a (filesize) would be best as the file size would
allow a reasonable check on non-Debian systems and the 'md5sum' would
allow absolute verification before installation.

checksum: d14d384e0895986bc9f2b09f0a8b84fc (295393)

The reason for this is so programs like 'dftp' can verify that they
retrieved the packages correctly before attempting to install them.

Comments, anyone?

                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )