Re: -O2 or -O3 ?

>> Does anyone disagree with Brian White ?  If not I'll change the
>> guidelines back to recommending -O2.
>
>I don't disagree with Brian but am not sure he's adequately proven his
>point.  He's only told us about what he found when compiling afio.

I didn't find it.  I was just commenting on, and providing explanation for,
somebody else's results.

>Wouldn't it be wise to compare -O2 to -O3 on several (larger) packages
>before the guidelines are modified?

My point was that I don't think "-O3" should be a rule because, in
general, I believe it will make packages larger without significant
increase in speed.  There may be packages where the speed increase is
enough to justify using it.  There may be cases where individual files
should be compiled with "-O3" and not the rest.  In the end, it is up
to the maintainer to make the judgement call.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )