Re: Documentation of the private groups proposal

> It is probably appropriate to mention in this thread that Matt Welsh
> has offered to help document Debian as soon as this point has been
> reached.  Ian is quite right, and that is exactly the reason I have
> told Matt not to even to bother starting until the major design issues
> have been settled.

That's what I'm waiting for. What I'd like to do is release a Debian-specific
I&GS (and perhaps make that the "only" I&GS once Debian's foothold is strong
enough to call it the "official" Linux distribution). But, of course, I
can't start to document those things until you have a ready-to-install
package. Of course I'm more than willing to write code for the Debian
installation process. I'd like for it to be as smart and seamless as possible.
That doesn't necessarily mean using colour menus. :)

How much is there in the way of installation scripts, and what needs to
be done? Would it be worthwhile to either a) Write a smarter front-end
for fdisk, or b) Write a commandline-driven fdisk than can be executed
semi-automatically from any front-end? If this is a good idea I can do it.

Also, I'd like to document Debian as a whole; that is, keep lists and
logs of each software package in the distribution, software versions,
and ChangeLogs from one version to the next.