Re: user private groups and a src group

[ I have moved this discussion to debian-devel.  This discussion
  belongs here. ]

Matthew Hannigan <matth@ucc.su.oz.au> writes:

> Daniel Quinlan writes in part
>> Matthew Hannigan <matth@ucc.su.oz.au> writes:
>>
>> > Exactly.  It won't change _anything_ for the average user.
>>
>> Not so.  You should say, "they won't notice."  Above-average users
>> will definitely notice.

What happens when some user that doesn't know better chowns /sbin
root.root?

> Yes, indeed, even if it is to merely ask, (as someone else wrote)
> "Why are all my directories setgid?"
>
> We should document our decision, I guess, but where is the best
> place to do that ?  Is there a, say, /usr/doc/debian file?  Or would
> the man page for useradd be a better place?

Try: /usr/doc/Debian-FAQ because this will become a frequently asked
question that we will have to defend for a looong time.  Even so, most
people don't read documentation anyway.

I don't think this kind of change would be as smooth as you all think.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>