Re: Python (was: Re: Perl)

> I suggest that Perl devotees check out Python before spending much time
> in development of Perl admin scripts. Python addresses a larger problem
> set than Perl, it's more readable and easier to maintain, and it supports
> an object-oriented paradigm. It also promises to subsume the role of
> Tcl/Tk.

Not being either a Perl or Python devotee, I'd vote for admin scripts
written in a language I'm comfortable with, and would rather not have
interpreters for languages I'm not comfortable with (that includes both
Python and Perl) added to the base system every time a new scripting
language appears.

I'd rather not have a requirement for prior knowledge of Perl or Python
become a barrier to installing/using/administering a stock out-of-the-box
debian system, regardless of how slick either language might be.

Of course, I could be wrong 8-).