Re: update tray tool for Debian

On Monday 17 January 2005 08:08 am, Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:28:34PM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi,
>
> > Some brazilians who work on the 'Debian-BR-CDD' effort talked to me
> > about an update tray tool. I know you both are interested and working on
> > such tools currently.
> >
> > Daniel Burrows is apt-watch's and aptitude's author. Michiel Sikkes and
> > Michael Vogt wrote the tools which are being used by ubuntu. They can be
> > found here:
> >
> > http://ftp.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/pool/main/u/update-manager/
> > http://ftp.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/pool/main/u/update-notifier/
>
> While apt-watch is a very nice gnome applet we (the ubuntu desktop
> people) decided to go with a different approach. This some some
> advantages and some drawbacks. Here is a brief overview how
> update-notifier works:
>
> update-notifier runs entirely as a user and can not do a "apt-get
> update" on it's own (apt-watch can do it).

  I should point out that this isn't strictly accurate: apt-watch runs
entirely as a user until you try to do an actual upgrade (it downloads the
Packages files to $HOME).

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|              "Progress just means bad things happen faster."              |