Re: welcome to the games team Michael Dorrington!

On 15/10/14 09:39, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> We've just added you to pkg-games, welcome to the team! Please use this
> opportunity to introduce yourself to the team; what games you are
> interested in, what you plan to work on within the team etc.

I am interested in Free Software gaming.  I gave a talk to my local Free
Software group in 2010 entitled "100% free software gaming: No
cheating!" using the games available in Debian as a guarantee of their
freeness:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Manchester/2010-01-19
At this year's Software Freedom Day in Manchester event I demonstrated
some of the games available in Debian.  I'm considering doing an updated
version of my 2010 talk.

I am interested in SpringRTS (aka Spring Engine).  I've done work on
packaging this:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/michaeld-guest/spring.git
I would like to be able to push to, at least, my own branches on the
official Debian spring git so that my improvements are more easily
integrated.
I would be interested in helping to package Spring games and maps.  The
KernelPanic game and Delta Siege map were once listed as suggestions for
spring:
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/spring

I would like to help with packaging Xonotic for Debian:
https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Suggested#Xonotic

I am interested in packaging the "RocketMinsta" (aka RM) mod of Nexuiz:
http://rocketminsta.net/

I've been playing a bit with minetest and there looks to be several
interesting mods that aren't packaged yet.  I need to evaluate them
first and then I might package them.

I am interested in ensuring that the experience for users is good.  That
games work smoothly, unfinished or incomplete games are clearly marked,
that upgrades are smooth and so on.  I did similar work to this kind on
kFreeBSD Desktop and the Yeeloong:
https://wiki.debian.org/MichaelDorrington/kFreeBSD_Desktop
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install

My Debian Wiki page (and username):