Re: supertuxkart 0.7.3

On 10.12.2012 11:08, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> Well, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of using an embedded copy of
> irrlicht in stk either. However, Policy 4.13 doesn't explicitly forbid
> doing so (should != must), and hence why the security team has a list
> of embedded code copies [1]. Upstream has indicated that at some point
> in the future, their modifications to their embedded copy of irrlicht
> is going to be extensive enough to break the API. If you've got any
> other options I haven't considered yet, I'm all ears. :)

Reading through the two bug reports you have mentioned, the following
options are on the table IMO.

1. Releasing version X of STK with version Y of irrlicht and applying
   changes which were made upstream to STK via a patch. I think
   this is mainly a documentation issue and upstream should take care
   of it.

2. Replace irrlicht in Debian with the STK version. Seems to be no
   problem at the moment because only a few packages depend on it but
   would become an issue in the future if we include more games which
   depend on the official irrlicht version.

3. Use the embedded copy of irrlicht and report the issue to the
   security team and track everything security related to STK and
   irrlicht carefully.

Personally i would go for 1 because that's the responsibility of
upstream and is not your fault.

Regards,

Markus