Re: copyright files and GPL links

2007/8/23, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com>:
Just after "GPLv2 (or later)" add this text:

"Version 2 of the GPL license is available here: <link to real GPL-2 file>.
The 3rd version of the  GPL license is available here: <link to real GPL-3>.

Note that you can choose either one of the versions or any later version of
the GPL license. For you convenience, links to the currently known versions
of the license were listed above."

The link to real GPL-3 can be the one in the common licenses, or one
delivered by the package itself.

I agree with Bas, Linas and Eddy here. I don't have any problem in providing both links in the copyright file, in fact that would be better for the users, as we're providing them more information. I wouldn't just link to GPL-2 unless it was GPLv2 only. There are issues regarding linking GPLv2 only + GPLv3 source codes, so I'd rather avoid any confusion there. Eddy's proposal is quite good.

Miry