Uploaded netboot 0.8.1-1 (alpha) to master
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:45:17 +0200
Maintainer: Christopher C. Chimelis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
netboot - Booting of a diskless computer
netboot (0.8.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
* New upstream release (fixes Bug #27571); here are the changes new
to version 0.8 (0.8.1 is a bug fix release):
- changes to the bootrom:
- changed the memory management of the bootrom which now uses
upper memory, thus freeing all DOS simulator ram space for
use by DOS programs. You now have approx. 60kB of free ram
available for a packet driver and other programs (which is
about 20kB more than previously with older netboot
versions). If you had problems with a packet driver not
fitting into memory, please try it again with this new
version and let me know!
- besides these memory management changes, I had to modify the
internal buffer handling, with the result that the bootrom
kernel code is now not only smaller but also noticably faster.
- added support for a configuration file and system database file
to all user programs. You can now simply specify a system name
on the command line of mknbi-linux for example, and it will
generate a Linux netbootable image without any other command
line options. Basically, after you've setup a system in the
database, you don't have to remember the various command
line options for the different programs anymore.
- added various hex file formats to makerom. If you have an EPROM
programmer which only accepts certain hex formats, you can now
directly generate those formats without the need of an external
converter. Presently supported are Intel hex, Motorola hex and
Tektronix hex formats.
- new program: ROMCHECK - this is a program to interactively
verify the installation of a netboot bootrom. If your boot EPROM
doesn't seem to work you can use romcheck to find out why. It's
probably similar to the romscan program found in etherboot, even
though I have never seen that. Please try out romcheck, even if
you don't have problems with the bootrom, and let me know what
you think about it. Especially, if you find bugs or have ideas
for extensions please tell me.
- changed the directory structure of the package: it now contains
a library with routines common to all user programs, many files
moved from the main directory into some subdirectory. I've also
reworked most of the Makefiles.
- added two new packet drivers for DC21x4 and Intel Etherexpress
cards from the Crynwr packet driver collection.
- many bug fixes (too numerous to list them here - see the HISTORY
file for a comprehensive listing)
- extensive documentation updates, including man pages
* Bug #25050 fixed (thanks to Lars Wirzenius <email@example.com>)
a3077ae3a555302817fefeaf63070c2a 292180 net extra netboot_0.8.1-1_alpha.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----