Release update: Soft freeze for stretch
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
We have passed the 5th of January, which means that no new source packages
will enter stretch as announced in . This also applies to packages
that have been (or will be) removed from stretch.
Future milestone dates in the stretch freeze
This is the third of four milestones for the stretch freeze. The
Release Team maintains a calendar of these at  along with other
important dates. The next milestones are (in order):
Feb 5: Full freeze
Freeze for stretch:
* All changes to stretch will require approval.
* Use "reportbug release.debian.org" for requesting unblocks.
* Uploaded changes must be in testing before February 5th
* With the mandatory 10-day delay, the latest day for the upload is
/at least/ 10 days earlier.
* Delays caused by RC bugs, other packages, slow buildds,
"C-x M-c M-butterfly" (etc.) are *not* an excuse to be late.
You can also find the dates and their descriptions in our calendar.
We will keep you updated as the freeze progresses.
RC bugs flooding testing
We had an incident recently where Britney migrated a lot of packages
with RC bugs. The underlying issue was caused by an incorrect RC bug
list exported by the BTS, which was later fixed by Don Armstrong.
Unfortunately, we were too late to prevent the damage. The archive
had shipped a version of testing with all of these RC buggy versions
and people had a chance to upgrade their systems.
If you have been relying on the RC bugs to keep out a newer version of
your package, you may find yourself needing to revert to the old version
with a new upload.
On the other hand, the vast majority seems to be previously removed
packages that are now back in testing. If you had been meaning to salvage
one of these but never found the time to do it, you now have another chance
(until the auto-removal kicks it out again).
* You will have to support it for the life time of stretch.
* Uploading a fix (or pinging the bug) will reset the auto-removal counter
to at least 14 days (assuming you remember to fix/ping all bugs).
* If the fix migrates on its own before 5th of February, it will *not*
need an unblock hint from us.
* If you keep pinging the bug without uploading a fix that can migrate to
stretch in time, we might be forced to manually remove the package.
* Prioritize! You cannot salvage them all.
For the Release Team,
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----