Release update: Transition freeze and other upcoming events

Hi,

Today is the transition freeze, as we announced in [1]. That means no
new library transitions or package transitions that involve a large
number of packages.

Please note that some transitions are ongoing or about to start in the
next couple of days. We will work hard to make those as smooth as
possible, so please bear with us while things finally settle.

Future milestone dates in the stretch freeze

This is the first of four milestones for the stretch freeze[2]. The
Release Team maintains a calendar of these at [3] along with other
important dates. The next milestones are (in order):

Dec 5: Forced 10-day migration delay
- ------------------------------------

All package migrations will have a mandatory 10-day migration delay by
default (i.e. Britney will ignore urgencies from the changelog).

 * Very urgent updates (security updates) can have their delay lowered.
 * Please file an unblock request where needed. (reportbug release.debian.org)

Jan 5: soft freeze
- ------------------

Deadline for:

 * New (source) packages in stretch
 * Letting packages re-enter stretch (if they have been removed)

Updates to existing packages in stretch will continue as normal.

Remember:
 * New packages must be in testing before January 5th.
 * With the mandatory 10-day delay, the latest day for the upload is
   /at least/ 10 days earlier.
 * Delays caused by RC bugs (even in other packages), lazy FTP-masters or
   a long NEW queue (etc.) are *not* an excuse to be late.

Feb 5: Full freeze
- ------------------

Freeze for stretch:

 * All changes to stretch will require approval.
 * Use "reportbug release.debian.org" for requesting unblocks.

Remember:
 * Uploaded changes must be in testing before February 5th
 * With the mandatory 10-day delay, the latest day for the upload is
   /at least/ 10 days earlier.
 * Delays caused by RC bugs other packages, slow buildds,
   "C-x M-c M-butterfly" (etc.) are *not* an excuse to be late.

You can also find the dates and their descriptions in our calendar[3].

We will keep you updated as the freeze progresses.

For the Release Team,
 Emilio and Niels

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/07/msg00002.html
[2] https://release.debian.org/#release-dates