Re: Scary bugs

* From: Ryan Murray <rmurray@cyberhqz.com> at Fri, 28 Jan 2000 :

>= A new user will expect their time to follow them between OS', so I think
>= instead, the support for /etc/adjtime should be removed (comment out the
>= --adjust line in hwclock).  That's what I'm doing and don't have these
>= problems.

Completely agree.

* From: Nathaniel Smith <njs@njs.dhis.net> at Fri, 28 Jan 2000 :

>= So it's supposed to make your clock more accurate in both linux and windows.

May be it was made for convenience but my practical experience after installation
on at least 3 computers told me an opposite - always comment out this
adjustment of hardware clocks. Otherwise nothing helps and my clocks will always
displays a wrong time.

Yes, I am relatively new to Debian (about year of reading and about half
of it I use only Debian as my home OS, but Win9x for kids).

* From: Thierry Laronde <thierry.laronde@polynum.com> at Sat, 29 Jan 2000

>= Exactly. The hardware clock is a backup. It's used only to set the system
>= clock when the system is boot or reboot. Because the hardware clock isn't

I am not sure about. For my home computers (and for other thousands of users,
IMHO) the hardware clocks are primary ones as soon as computer is only
ON for couple of hours per day. And difference in couple of minutes per month
is not a big deal. If you care about it just NTP of RDATE it as often as you
like.

Please, remove this command (--systohc). I hope It will fix the reported bug.
And I want to have one customised file less on all my computers.

Pavel.

epv@casema.net     pavel_e@yahoo.com