Release-Notes for Potato - Information and Help Needed

[Please, no replies to this list!]

     I am starting to compile information for the Release-Notes for
potato.  All developers are requested to forward information about
significant changes in packages or installation/upgrading tools to
hilliard@debian.org.

     Basically, what is needed is anything that will make the users'
life a little easier when she upgrades to or installs potato.  Julian
Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> has suggested the following cases as a
guide to the type of information that is required:

 The "before" cases:

 - If the user doesn't read the upgrade notes for this package
   *before* upgrading, his/her system will die a horrible death or
   will lose major functionality
     => should appear on main release notes page, and the situation
        should be improved if this is at all possible
   [possible egs: kernel-2.2 (utmp group etc), great X re-org]

 - If the user doesn't read the upgrade notes for this package
   *before* upgrading, the upgrade will not run smoothly
     => the maintainer needs to clean up their package so this is not
        the case, but if this is impossible, the situation should be
        described on the main release notes page

The "after" cases:

 - If the user doesn't read the upgrade notes for this package
   *after* upgrading, his/her system will die a horrible death or
   will lose major functionality
     => should appear on main release notes page, and the situation
        should be improved in whatever way possible

 - If the user doesn't read the upgrade notes for this package
   *after* upgrading, the package concerned will lose significant
   functionality, or the sysadmin's configuration will have been lost,
   or similar
     => should appear in a list on the release notes page.  These
        could link to text describing the problems, or the page could
        just say "The following packages have major changes which will
        most likely require manual intervention after the upgrade.
        It is recommended that you read
        /usr/doc/<package>/README.Debian_upgrading after installing
        any of these packages to ensure a smooth upgrade."

     I would rather receive too much information than too little.  I
will edit submitted material as needed to avoid letting the document
grow too much.

     I do not consider myself sufficiently knowledgeable about all
aspects of Debian to do justice to the Release-Notes, and I don't
really have the time to do it properly.  If anyone is willing to
adopt this project please email me or Adam Di Carlo
<adam@onshore.com>, and I will happily turn it over to you.

Bob
--
   _