Debian Desktop subproject launched

Hello all,

The Debian Desktop subproject is a group of volunteers who want to
create the best possible operating system for home and corporate
workstation use. Our motto is "Software which Just Works". In short, our
goal is to bring Debian, GNU, and Linux to the mainstream world.

Debian has in the past been viewed as the OS of choice for technical
users, and we have largely ignored the mainstream, end-user market.

It is time to change that.

The tenents of the Debian Desktop subproject are listed on the web page:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop/

In short, we want to ensure that installing, configuring, and using
Debian is as easy and foolproof as possible.  We will work to ensure
that Debian is usable by a novice, by getting rid of unnecessary
technical terms in prompts where applicable (e.g. "DHCP", "MIME"),
integrating easy-to-use system mangagement tools, and using
autodetection of hardware whereever possible.

Interested?  There are a lot of things you can do to help out!  There's
a todo list on the web page; the most single most important thing to
work on right now is debian-installer.

I am a strong believer in the free software community and the Debian
project; I think we can succeed in this task, however difficult it may
appear now.

The existence of the Debian Desktop subproject is a way of saying that
we realize there are problems, and we're going to fix them.  So let's do
it!