Changes to experimental, proposed-updates and orphaned distributions

Hi,

The following changes have taken place as of today's daily archive
run.

(1) Experimental is dead, long live experimental.

As mentioned in an earlier email, I've cleaned a lot of the cruft out
of experimental.  What remains has been migrated to the pool and the
old (horrible) setup of project/experimental has been replaced with a
proper per-component+per-architecture setup like all the other real
distributions.  Anyone using experimental will have to update their
apt/dpkg-ftp/whatever configuration file to cope.  (No, I'm not going
to give an example, as I have no desire to encourage careless use of
experimental.)

There's also been a couple of other changes to experimental; namely

a) experimental now uses unstable's override file, so anyone can
upload an experimental version of a package already in unstable
without the need to wait for NEW processing; similarly, a package can
be moved from experimental to unstable without NEW processing.

b) [not yet implemented] experimental packages now have to be newer
than their counterparts (if any) in unstable.  This allows me to
auto-clean experimental and keep the cruft problem under control.  If
anyone objects violently, now would be the time to do so as I haven't
implemented this yet.

(2) Proposed-updates is not dead [but I'd very much like it to be]

The contents of proposed-updates have been migrated to the pool.
Although I'd very much like to kill p-u in it's current form, I can't
do that without breaking people's apt/dpkg-ftp/whatever setups so I've
left it as is for now.  However, fair warning, on woody's release, p-u
will die in it's current form and be reincarnated as a proper
distribution (just like experimental).  This will obviously require
updating whatever documentation refers to p-u, but I guess that can be
sorted out closer to the time.

(3) project/orphaned proclaimed moribund; removal imminent

project/orphaned is IMO not a dreadfully useful thing.  I don't see
the need for us (and the mirror network) to carry this cruft.  If
anyone wants the source for a removed package they can always get it
from a) stable, b) archive.debian.org or c) the relevant 'removed'
directory on ftp-master.d.o or non-us.d.o.  Basically implementing
project/orphaned support in the new pools removal script would be
non-trivial and I don't particularly want to spend time on it.  NB:
none of the scripts used since I joined ftpmaster had support for p/o
either, so it has effectively been unused for the last 3 years or so.
So anyway, as soon as I get round to it, project/orphaned is going to
disappear off mirrors.  It won't be deleted (if I can avoid it, I
never delete anything), and will be available on ftp-master.d.o for
anyone who needs to resurrect something from it.

- --
James