gcc as optional

hi

I have tried (a few times) to install Debian/woody with the new
debian-installer (full report of my last attempt is in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg02507.html
)

As a side note, I have found this:
gcc (and companions) has "Priority: standard"  ;
this means that, unless the user goes into dselect and deselects all
of them, it always gets installed; in particular, if the user is low
on space, this can be annoying

I here propose that gcc (and companions) become "Priority: optional"

rationale is that many users can work on Debian without compiling anything;
moreover tasksel has a " [ ] C and C++ "  line, that is almost
useless, since gcc is installed nonetheless

a.

ps: all the above, up to my best knowledge

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "one houndred and fifty - the chicken sings"