gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

Package: gimp1.2
Version: 1.2.3-2.4
Severity: normal

Hi,

Installed the gimp, I got a message suggesting me to install
gimp1.2-nonfree

I find non-appropriate for a package in main to advertise for non-free
packages in non-free, which is theoretically not part of Debian -- a
package part of Debian should not assume that these packages exists, a
package part of Debian should not incitate users to install non-free
software.

I add this report to debian-devel in Cc because I suppose that it may
need a public debate.

Side note: the non-free package in question seems to ship only GIF
support. I thought that the patent on LZW was over.
But, worse, why can't the gimp no longer save GIF files, without the
LZW compression? Should I fill a bug against the gimp package?
It that due to the existence of a package in non-free providing full
gif support -- would be really astonishing (removing functionalities
that works feeely in the package in main and incitating to install
non-free stuff)

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux ulysse 2.4.23-pre7 #6 mar oct 21 18:19:23 CEST 2003 i686
Locale: LANG=fr_FR@euro, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR@euro

Versions of packages gimp1.2 depends on:
ii  aalib1              1.4p5-18             ascii art library
ii  libc6               2.3.2-9              GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libgimp1.2          1.2.3-2.4            Libraries necessary to run the GIM
ii  libglib1.2          1.2.10-9             The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgtk1.2           1.2.10-16            The GIMP Toolkit set of widgets fo
ii  libgtkxmhtml1       1.4.2-16             The GNOME gtkxmhtml (HTML) widget
ii  libjpeg62           6b-9                 The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG
ii  libmpeg1            1.3.1-2.1            The MPEG library calls for movie s
ii  libpng2             1.0.15-4             PNG library, older version - runti
ii  libtiff3g           3.5.7-2              Tag Image File Format library
ii  slang1              1.4.9-2              The S-Lang programming library - r
ii  wget                1.9-1                retrieves files from the web
ii  xlibs               4.3.0-0ds2.0.0woody2 X Window System client libraries
ii  zlib1g              1:1.1.4-16           compression library - runtime

-- no debconf information

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage: 		http://yeupou.coleumes.org/		|