Default MTA and dependencies

Debian's default MTA is Exim.  Does that mean that packages which want
an MTA should depend on exim | mail-transport-agent?

Now, it is just very messy (those are from woody, so if any of those
have been changed lately, I might not be up-to-date):

Depends on sendmail | mail-transport-agent:
listar
sympa
smtpd
mailman

Depends on just mail-transport-agent:
noffle
smartlist
newsgate
elm-me+
mush
mailx
inn
at
uqwk-spool
inn2
popularity-contest
uqwk
ninpaths
debbugs
log2mail

Depends on postfix | mail-transport-agent:
mmc

Depends on smail | sendmail | mail-transport-agent:
sn
vm

Depends on sendmail | smail | mail-transport-agent:
mailagent

Depends on smail | mail-transport-agent:
af

Depends on exim | sendmail | postfix | mail-transport-agent:
cyrus-common

The dependencies on just mail-transport-agent is a bug, afaik, but
should other packages depend on exim | mail-transport-agent, og is it
OK that they have such dependencies as they have now?

(I haven't seen any policy on this one, that is why I am asking.)

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Axiom #1: You Can't Win