ANNOUNCEMENT: there will be no XFree86 4.0.0 .debs (please read)

PLEASE REPLY TO THE LISTS, AND NOT MY MAILBOX.  DO NOT FILE BUG REPORTS
ABOUT THIS, EITHER; THERE IS ALREADY A BUG FILED ABOUT A NEW UPSTREAM
VERSION OF X.

Okay, with that out of the way...

There will be no 4.0.0 .debs.  4.0.1 is expected in mid-June, and I plan to
package that.  Why?

1) Real-world (i.e., work) considerations have kept me very busy with non-X
related work for the past few months.  I have very strong reasons to expect
that situation to change for the better soon -- but I'm not at liberty to
discuss why at the moment.

2) XFree86 4.0.0 has a lot of problems.  People who are actually already
using it on a daily basis have reported a lot of crashes.  Furthermore, it
is being patched upstream at a very aggressive pace.  Over two hundred
distinct patches have been applied to the upstream CVS tree to date.

3) As I said, XFree86 4.0.1 is expected in mid-June.  This is approximately
three weeks from now.  4.0.0 debs have already been delayed so long it
seems to make sense at this point just to give up on official versions and
re-target for 4.0.1 instead.

4) XFree86 4.0 will not be in potato.  We are in freeze right now, and it
is imperative that I place priority on the version of XFree86 that is going
into potato.  I have been addressing release-critical bugs and
denial-of-service attacks in 3.3.6 and will be releasing 3.3.6-7 in time
for the second test cycle.  Test i386 .debs for 3.3.6-7 are available at:

deb http://samosa.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ potato/$(ARCH)/

5) XFree86 4.0 did not support SPARC hardware at all.  SPARC is an
important supported architecture for Debian.  SPARC support has been added
upstream and will be in 4.0.1.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Human beings rarely imagine a god that
Debian GNU/Linux               |    behaves any better than a spoiled child.