background and icon theme in gnome 2.14 and general debian

hello there:

i want to bring to discussion on the list some aspects of desktop eye
candy that users valorize when they end the installation. Also, a bit of
marketing for debian.

I think we should ship with debian etch an innovator image of debian's
desktop.
For example, the same image set in grub/lilo menu, gnome/kde splash,
gnome/kde/whatever background.

I like the gnome 2.14 splash screen - even more with the swirl - located
at /usr/share/pixmaps/splash and i think that we could base on those
colors to make some new backgrounds that the user likes.

I like the new splash screen, but don't like the background
(debian-background.svg in desktop-base).

The changes i would like in the background is a whitier colour of the
image and putting the swirl in one corner, or in the middle, but
smaller. ( bad example in attachment). Or ... like the splash, the
combination of the gnome foot and the swirl. For kde or other window
managers the same could be applied, but with their logos.

Also, the icons in gnome, come with the default ones. I think that they
are bad, they are not appealing for the user. I use the tango icon set
and i think it does the trick ( There is an ITP [1] with some legal
issues).

Having a full in the same level layout oriented graphics, the user
experience would improve. Also the substitution of the gnome foot in the
menu by a swirl would maybe strong ... but by some icon like the one
from pkg-gnome-team [2]. I don't think it's great, but it is a cool
idea.

well ... i am not a designer, but i like to have a good first desktop
approach, like i think all users, new users or even company
administrators (engineers).

[2] http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/gnome-debian.png

best regards,

--